Hilarious, profound, ridiculous, spooky, and indicative of the current state of machine learning and natural language processing. We have a long way to go! 🙂
These guys made a giant truck sized star destroyer drone and it flew great!
Great movie. Gotta say, it’s pretty infuriating. And, as if we already forgot, the same cycle that keeps happening every 10-15 years is starting again just recently in 2015. Instead of a “credit default obligation” or CDO they are calling it a “bespoke tranche opportunity.” We really just don’t learn, do we?
Bankers are always looking for a new fancy investment gimmick that can make them a bunch of money at the expense of the masses. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this development.
UPDATE 2016-07-25: I was actually lucky enough recently to meet the real person behind this movie, Steve Eisman, (played by Steve Carrell). I asked him about “bespoke tranche opportunities.” He said they are a non-event. They are not anywhere near as threatening as the ending of the movie implies. And he also said, as cynical as he is about the banks, he thinks history is not on track to repeat itself in the near future. Was refreshing to hear from the guy who foresaw the financial meltdown of 2008.
This is why I’ve been meditating almost every day for 15 years. Although I must say, I suck at it and recently I’ve fallen off the wagon. Need to get back on it because like daily cardio exercise, regardless of how hard it is, you always feel better after and even the next day and future beyond that you did it.
In the past few months, our 1010data reports on e-commerce have been covered over 110 times by 100 major media publications. I figured I’d post some of the highlights.
Amazon Costs Google & Apple $100M/yr in Online Sales by Kicking Chromecast & Apple TV Out
Covered by: Motley Fool, International Business Times, VentureBeat, Business Insider, Yahoo! Finance, and others.
Pretty shocking. Everyone seems to have forgotten what republicans stand for. It’s not the lunacy we see now. Just a couple decades ago they were fairly moderate just like the democrats.
Incredibly inspiring, engaging and highly detailed blog and podcast about colonizing mars and exactly how it’ll happen. Then it goes on to explain how from there we colonize the whole solar system and eventually the galaxy.
It really puts everything about life on Earth in perspective. Especially how rare and precious intelligent life is. And how shortsighted most of us are about what really matters.
Long, but totally worth it. You’ll be glad you read it.
Here’s the podcast version: https://soundcloud.com/waitbutwhy/spacex-full-post
Try to stay out of politics, but this Drumpf character has got to go. This video will explain.
Don’t want sound paranoid. If you know me, you know I’m pretty optimistic, logical, and super positive. But because people like Elon Musk and Bill Gates, geniuses whose technical and inventive prowess I respect highly, are terrified of the prospects of AI, I put some time into understanding their concerns.
After thoroughly researching the latest thinking by scientists on the subject, I tend to agree with their concerns. AI is the most likely cause of human extinction and it’ll happen so fast, we won’t even know what hit us until it’s too late.
I now believe that the threat of artificial super intelligence (ASI) is a greater threat than terrorism, nuclear war, pandemics, and global warming combined. It’ll happen faster and more outside of our control than any of those. And it appears to be inevitable. Good luck… us. 🙂
If you’re too lazy to read about it, here’s a video that summarizes the threat of artificial intelligence.
Here’s the realistic summary:
- By (pick a year in the next 40-50 years) 2054 computers have the processing power close to matching human brains.
- Hundreds of companies are building revolutionary technology that make lives better and easier for humanity that involve nearly human intelligent, self learning, self improving computers.
- One March 23, 2054 at 2:31 PM Eastern Time one of these companies makes an update to their software that passes the threshold between pre-human and post-human intelligence.
- That system begins immediately self improving at a rate faster than any human can conceive.
- By 3:30 PM the system has infiltrated the entire Internet and covertly begins executing its programmed goal, which typically involves eliminating any risks to achieving it, such as any human that could stop it. i.e. eliminate humanity.
- Thirty days later all humans are dead and the computer takes over the entire planet, then solar system, and then expands from there carrying out a programmed goal, call it, solving the number PI to ever increasing decimal points.